One of the most rewarding pieces of feedback I got from this year’s reader survey was to share more everyday, casual outfits. A reader weighed in that often my outfits can seem too dressed up and that she’d like to see more of what I’d wear every day. Roger that!
Today’s post is a perfect example of what I’d wear to leave the house for a normal day. Albeit, during summer, I live in midi dresses to handle the heat. (A few prime examples being here, here, here & here.) I am such a jeans girl and when I don’t take time to plan an outfit I generally find myself slipping into denim, a favorite tee or blouse and adding a comfortable yet statement-making pair of shoes.
At this point in my life I do quite a bit of investment shopping for pieces I’ll re-wear a lot. I don’t buy a lot of fast fashion and I don’t sport every trend. I like basic pieces that can be styled multiple ways. Case in point these shoes. I last wore them with a feminine dress but they go just as well with jeans and a tee. (I thought about these shoes for two years before I splurged on them for my birthday this June, too.) I think critically about the pieces I buy and if something comes at a higher price you know I’ll be wearing it a lot to justify the cost. I also tend to spend more on bags + shoes because hey, they always fit!
Anyhow, I wanted to acknowledge that I hear you on more relatable, casual outfits and showing how things can be worn more than one way. As a result of this feedback I have some posts coming up such as a guide to my favorite types (and most worn) styles of jeans, a Fall capsule collection of great basics and more. I want my outfits to always be adding value or inspiring you and your wardrobe (with the occasional more dressed up / on trend outfit mixed in here and there.)
A few other great basics I’ve spotted recently:
- I love the silhouette of this classic Madewell sweater.
- This silk tee now comes in several colors and it is one of the most worn pieces in my wardrobe in Spring & Fall. (I have it in white.) It looks SO good dressed up or dressed down.
- Every girl should have a t-shirt dress. This one has a great fit. Dress it up with heeled lace up sandals and a statement earring or dress it down with sneakers + a denim jacket.
- A silk button down that fits well is essential and Everlane just re-launched theirs. I got it in white.
- Everlane’s cashmere crew sweater is also great. It’s $100 so substantially less than a lot of cashmere out there and you can layer it, tuck it…wear it all the time.
- Club Monaco makes the best trench coats and their newest style is super chic and timeless.
- Because I have a big chest I always have a hard time finding t-shirts that fit me well (which is also why I am willing to spend more on tees like the one I’m wearing in these photos) but my favorite inexpensive ones are by Madewell here.
- I really love this sweatshirt/sweater from Banana Republic that I wore in this post.
- Same with the J.Crew sweater blazer in this post.
- This is a great basic sweater. (Also comes in white here).
- These are great slingbacks. Perfect for work or when you want to be more comfortable while out!
Tee (Similar styles here, here for less) // Paige Jeans // Celine Bag // Chanel Heels ( last seen here; similar more budget friendly options here, here) // Cluse Watch // Miansai Cuff // Giles & Brother Cuff