I am so excited to be sharing today’s post with you guys at long last! My roommate Bridget and I began planning for this living room makeover back in June and it’s taken a while to come together but I couldn’t be happier with the results. I’ve been in my current East Village apartment for nearly three years now and while I love it, the living room wasn’t a place I loved. It was a random assortment of pieces not thoughtfully put together but more so thrown into the room in a way that worked functionally but not aesthetically.
Read on for more photos & notes on what all we did!
We still have some finishing touches to take on like art on the walls and pillows for the couch but we’ll get there and I’ll be sharing that as part two of the reveal soon!
Key changes we made:
- We got rid of every.single.piece of furniture we had! This was somewhat made possible by the circumstances of one roommate moving out (taking multiple pieces of living room furniture with her) and a new one moving in, but it was so fun to start from scratch! You can see a peek of our old living room corner here. (This is the spot where my desk now resides.)
- We made room for my desk so I had a proper working space. As discussed earlier this week, this was of the utmost importance to me for the success of my self-employment and I’m lucky my roommates were kind enough to let me carve out this space. The space was tight so pretty much the only desk that fit the bill was this one. In the best turn of fate, my friend Hitha had this exact desk at home and wasn’t using it so she was kind enough to pass it onto me! She wrote her forthcoming book from it so I’m going to take whatever good vibes it has left in it ;)!
- We picked a color theme. When living with roommates it is very hard to not have a hodge-podge situation that comes as a result of combining the tastes and aesthetics of multiple people in one room. Since we had the luxury of starting with a clean slate, we were able to make more thoughtful choices. We began by selecting the gorgeous rug in such pretty neutrals and then designed around that. I love that the rug is understated but certainly makes the room by pulling together all the various components.
- We thought carefully about storage. Living in New York storage is one of the hardest things to come by. We don’t have a storage closet so we need to be strategic and crafty about where we can put things. This mirrored cabinet fit the bill perfectly and then we selected a console that had drawers to give us some additional spots to stash miscellaneous items. Our last living room was SO busy with so many things out in the open that a priority of ours was to really make sure we were able to more thoughtfully merchandise the space.
- We took our TV off the wall so we no longer had to stare at ugly cords and so it was more proportioned in the room by sitting on the new console. This was a game changer in the space!
- We added lamps so we don’t always have to rely on our overhead lights from our 13-foot ceilings. We don’t get a lot of natural light in our apartment (as you can probably tell in these photos #cityliving) so adding some more lighting options was important.
- We were so lucky to work with the team at Raymour + Flanigan on this project. Their awesome selection made the process easy because we found so many pieces we loved! We took advantage of services like their Platinum Protection Plan that gives us peace of mind should anything stain our couch or my desk chair, they’ll replace it. I was so pleasantly surprised with how many pieces they had that were as functional as they were beautiful to look at and they offer free shipping on a lot of their inventory as well which helps hugely with costs!
My favorite pieces are definitely the mirrored cabinet, mirrored tray, the rug that set the whole tone of the room and I love burning this candle. It smells so amazing and looks beautiful! And having a desk has been so important to me!
Picking out art is definitely not my forte but that’ll be the next challenge we take on. I’ll of course be sure to share the final product!
Overall I am so in love with how the space turned out. Our living room feels bigger, more cohesive in style and is a room I love working from every day.
What do you guys think!?
Shop the Post:
Shop Select Pieces:
Major thanks to Raymour & Flanigan for their partnership on bringing our vision to life! While we received product in return for this feature, all opinions are 100% my own. Many thanks to BloomThat as well for the gorgeous blooms.