There’s no doubt that summer’s heat and humidity is here and not going anywhere. Last weekend the heat was making me so sleepy that I was taking afternoon naps in front of my air conditioner! How.Glamorous!
Now on my 8th NYC summer, I thought I’d share some of the things in my “summer toolkit” so to speak. The stuff I rely on when the heat hits. Have any additions? I’d love to hear your recommendations!
- Ice Roller. This facial tool has 4.5 stars on Amazon and over 2,000 positive reviews and for good reason. It is the best pick me up to tighten pores, wake up your skin and fight puffiness. I absolutely love using this after I was my face in the morning. I do it while I wait for my coffee to be ready. More on the device here.
- Cold Brew Maker. You guys have heard me talk about my love for this $20 cold brew pitcher before but it is the best during the summer. Make a batch at night, stick it in your fridge and have cold brew coffee at home for the next couple of days.
- Hand Fan. I have two hand fans that are utter life savers during hot, humid months in NYC. I bring them on my subway commutes, to church and even to bars. People are constantly looking at me and saying things like “Smart girl!” and truth be told, I can’t believe I lived so many years in NYC without one! It gives some inexpensive relief when the heat feels unbearable.
- Tan Luxe The Gradual. I talked about this awesome self tanner in this post and I’ve been sharing my results with it on Instagram and have loved hearing from others who have bought it and had a good experience as well! The color is super natural and doesn’t transfer to my sheets. There’s definitely a smell (despite what they market) but it’s worth it for the results. For best results I apply it twice with a few hours in between but if you’re fair like me even one coat will be a noticeable improvement. The formula is super silky (it is an oil-lotion texture) so it is easy to apply and doesn’t take a long time to dry.
- L’Occitane Tinted Lip Balm. On super hot days the last thing I want to do is wear lipstick. Instead, I reach for tinted lip balms like this one from L’Occitane that gives the prettiest wash of color in a weightless but super hydrating balm. It comes in four shades but I am partial to Grenadine in Love.
- Megababe Thigh Rescue. File under things I can’t live without come summer. Say goodbye to irritating thigh chafe when you glide this on before you leave the house. It is amazing. I also just bought the brand’s Bust Dust for testing after hearing great things.
- Nespresso Flat White Over Ice. I am in love with these limited edition Nespresso capsules!
- Sweat Cosmetics Foundation with SPF 30. Humid days means I am minimizing the makeup I put on and reaching for this foundation that does it all. It holds up to sweat, it provides SPF and it is super mattifying.
- Color Wow Dream Coat. This stuff lives up to the hype. (Kim K’s stylist always uses it when doing her sleek hair looks either down or in a tight pony). It has saved my hair during the humid months since I started to use it in May. I thought my hair was shot due to a sweaty commute for this shoot and couldn’t believe how my hair lasted and didn’t look frizzy in the photos. That’s what convinced me this stuff is gold! You spray it on wet hair and then activate it when you blow dry. Better yet? It lasts for up to 3 shampoos!
- Urban Decay Setting Spray. I have been using this setting spray for a decade – possibly more. It never ceases to amaze me how it keeps my makeup intact in even the most humid and sweaty of conditions. No melting, no fading and no dripping. #Blessed.
- Caudalie Beauty Elixir. I keep one of these facial sprays on my desk and a mini in my purse for refreshes on hot days. It’s like a little boost of radiance and also helps to keep makeup in place while refreshing skin and tightening pores. It has earned its cult status if you ask me.
- Simone Perle Strapless Bra. It wouldn’t be summertime without a bevy of dresses and tops requiring strapless bras. This is the one I swear by. I have three of them for heavy rotation. This brand is pricey but their bras are so well made and really hold up with wear and washing. I wear their regular bras daily, too. I try out other bras but nothing ever compares to this brand for me personally.
- Aquis Hair Towel. This towel is a god-send if you battle frizzy hair in the summer like I do. Not only does it cut down on blow-drying time, it also helps to reduce frizz and breakage. It was one of the best beauty discoveries I had last year and I’m still as obsessed with it as when I started using it. Worth every penny.
- Blotting sheets. I have 3 packs of these floating around my various bags as they are crucial to keeping my skin less oily. I’ve tried a lot of brands and these are always the ones I come back to.
Now on to today’s style. I haven’t loved shorts for many summers (I often rely on dresses and skirts to get me through summer) but this season I am back into them. But, let’s be real…not all shorts are created equal! There’s lot of unflattering shorts that exist out there (and so many ugly pairs!) but today I’m sharing loads of cute styles to get you through all your casual summer occasions.
The Shorts Edit:
Many of the above come in multiple colors so be sure to click through.
. . .
Lou & Grey Sweatshirt (wearing a Medium) // Madewell Bodysuit // Everlane Denim Shorts (c/o – available in 3 colors; wearing size 28) // Common Projects Sneakers (less expensive versions here) // Gucci Bag