Along with outlining some of my larger goals, when I started this year I decided I was going to do less of some things. It’s an interesting exercise to consider certain things that we really could work to limit in our daily lives.
On doing so, though, it also allowed me to think of things that I wanted more of in my life so this post also includes some things I’m working to do more of this year.
Things I’m doing less of in 2017:
- Spending time with negative people. We all know the type…those toxic people that only take and don’t give, that complain all the time and that don’t add value when you spend time with them.
- Relatedly, I’m doing less chasing of time with people that are all about themselves.
- Feeling the need to create excuses vs. just saying “no” or politely declining when I don’t want to do something.
- Worrying about being on time for casual rendez-vous. If I have a meeting you better believe I’ll still be on time (and usually early) but since all my friends run late, I’m not going to stress about being on time for non-business related matters.
- Drinking. I don’t need all those casual glasses of wines. (Dry January helped kick start being more mindful about consumption.)
- Worrying about things I can’t control or circumstances I can’t change.
- Taking things personally.
- Buying lunch and coffees out. I’m enjoying both of these things at home regularly nowadays!
- Saying sorry for things that don’t require apologies.
And a few things I’m doing more of…
- Sending little care packages + snail mail to loved ones.
- Listening to podcasts that inspire me during the work day instead of music. (Currently loving Pardon My French and How I Built This.)
- Subbing social media with reading. (Taking Facebook off my phone and adding the Feedly app was hugely helpful in this!)
- Telling almost everyone I encounter to have a good day.
- Saying “yes” to opportunities, events and get togethers that will introduce me to new people.
- Attempting to make time for meditation.
- Budgeting and paying closer attention to my finances. It’s high time to do so.
Are you guys working towards doing less or more of anything in particular this year? I’d love to hear about it if so…And by the way I’m loving your guys answers thus far in yesterday’s post…keep ’em coming!