There’s little worse than waking up on a chilly morning and putting on a colorful pair of tights that you’ve only worn twice only to find a run in them. It’s happened to us on more than one occasion and it really puts us in a scroogey mood!
Sure tights are economical compared to your other garments, but that doesn’t mean that you should have to buy a few new pairs each month because they’re ripped. It’s just the principle of it.
Here are some tips to help you care for your tights so you get more than two to three uses out of them:
- Use hairspray after you’ve put them on to strengthen the fibers. This also helps prevent your skirts and dresses from sticking to your thighs.
- Unless you’re exercising in your leggings 80s style, you don’t need to wash your tights after each wear. If you are exercising in your leggings – we’d love to hear from you on rockin’ it at the gym!
- Don’t throw your tights in the washer. Ever. Even if they’re machine washable, it’s better to soak them in the sink with some detergent and warm water and then lay them flat to dry. Don’t wring them out over and over again and watch your fingernails when wringing to prevent a snag.
- Fold them nicely in thirds and place in your drawer. It’s an obvious tip, but it will help your tights last longer as opposed to crunching them together in a ball.
- We’ve all been taught how to properly and gently put on a pair of tights. Sit down, roll up one foot at a time – your mom taught you how to do it. Yet you should also make sure you’re taking the same precautions when taking off your tights.
- Keep some clear nail polish on hand. If you notice a ladder starting while mid-cocktail, put a dab on and pray it won’t get bigger.
- Quality does matter. We’re not saying you need to buy a $40 pair of tights, but do keep in mind that tights with Lycra and thicker fibers will last longer. We love DKNY’s Opaque Coverage Control line (only $14.50 a pair), as well as SPANX (for more than one reason).
Do any of you have other tips on caring for tights? We’d love to hear them.
Photo Courtesy of DKNY