This week was a very busy one! It started out Upstate and is ending there, too! I’m heading up to The Catskills again this afternoon for my very first yoga retreat. I’m excited to be doing something new to me and to be escaping the city and – more importantly – my laptop for the weekend.
I hope you enjoy this week’s roundup & have a good weekend!
WHAT I DID THIS WEEK:
- Spent Monday in The Catskills.
- Caught up with my friend Hitha over lunch. If you’re not already subscribed to her #5SmartReads newsletter, I highly recommend it!
- Got my annual physical. I keep a log on my phone of things to discuss with my doctor that are non-urgent and it always makes for a productive and informative conversation.
- Tried out two restaurants I’d never been to: Augustine and Red Hook Tavern.
READ + LOOK + LOVE:
- Why you never see your friends anymore. This was such a thought provoking read on work and life lines being blurred and the tole of our overburdened schedules! I 100% could relate when the author wrote “Even if you aren’t asked to pull a weekend shift, work intrudes upon those once-sacred hours. The previous week’s unfinished business beckons when you open your laptop; urgent emails from a colleague await you in your inbox. A low-level sense of guilt attaches to those stretches of time not spent working.”
- A fun read about one of my favorite streets in Paris.
- Helena wrote an informative post about buying pre-loved designer items online.
- Are you a CBD user? This read was helpful but in the end I still have more questions than answers about whether I think it works or is more of a placebo. When I asked my doctor about it this week she just shrugged her shoulders and said “don’t know. We just don’t know enough about it yet.”
- How good do these veggie enchiladas sound?
- I loved Grace’s post on using Instagram for planning trips. I only started to use the app’s Save functionality earlier this year but now I reference what I saved all the time and find it so handy.
- Recipes to boost your immune system.
- Similarly, 30 tasty instant pot recipes perfect for cooler weather.
- Tips for spending less time staring your phone.
SHOP AND LOOK LONGINGLY:
- So many good boots on Nordstrom right now! These, these and these caught my eye. And let us have a moment for these matte/gloss combo Hunter boots! Never thought I’d say a rain boot is gorgeous but pretty sure these fit the description!
- This wool coat is gorgeous and such a great price.
- Love love love the pearl details on this sweater.
- This jumpsuit is screaming “boss” and I love it.
- Loving Lake’s new waffle set pajamas. They make such good PJs.
- A chic puffer vest from J.Crew to layer with this Winter.
- I love the standout detail on this affordable sweater.
- Trusty, affordable skinny jeans from Levi’s.
- A chic wrap top that’s part sweater, too.
- I am here for Anthropologie’s Holiday Candle shop!
- My friend told me that she got these Madewell sneakers after I shared alternatives to my fav Common Projects sneakers and she loves them! Such a good price point, too.
- I always love when Shopbop rounds up their top finds under $200! Favorites I spotted include this sweater, these jeans, these booties, these jeans, this sweater, this coat, this beanie and this dress.
- This classic trench coat is now on sale! I love it.
- The J.Crew sherpa fleece I’ve been wearing non-stop is now 50% off!
- Loving Madewell’s newest arrivals this week including this cardigan, this coat, this dress & this sweater (which is similar to one I wore here!)
- A suede moto jacket you’ll wear lots.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
- Two Madewell cardigans styled.
- An outfit for a rainy Fall day.
- A preppy Fall outfit + H&M’s best new arrivals.
- Styling Sezane’s new arrivals.
- Affordable Fall decor ideas.
- How to wear the J.Crew sweater blazer.
- My favorite jeans under $100.
- The cable knit sweater I can’t stop wearing.
[Image outtake from this post]
how did you like Augustine? I’m headed there for dinner with a friend this weekend, would love your thoughts!
I ate at the bar and had awful service but liked the food! The steak frites was delish!
With respect to CBD, and whether it’s “real” or a placebo, there is lots of cool work out there about the so-called “placebo-effect,” there was just an article in Gizmodo yesterday with lots of experts weighing in: https://gizmodo.com/why-do-placebos-work-1837983414. My take is, if it is safe, doesn’t have side effects, and isn’t crazy expensive, then who cares where the “effect” is coming from? My husband insists that if he chugs one of those vitamin C smoothies when he feels a cold coming on that it prevents the cold. Lots of studies have shown the link between vitamin C and cold prevention to be dubious at best, but if it makes him FEEL better, who cares?! I’ve tried CBD for sleep and have been very happy with it!
Totally agree with this POV!! I feel the same when I do Vitamin C and echinacea ha! Thanks for weighing in Jamie!