After years of living in California in close proximity to Wine Country, I fell in love with wine. Over the years I have explored learning about different varietals and wine regions and it’s truly a subject that never gets old to keep learning about.
One area I’m far from an expert in when it comes to wine is pairing it with my meals. I know what I like to drink when it comes to wine for enjoying a glass on my couch but I’m less experienced and confident with food and wine pairings. So after falling in love with Blue Apron earlier this year I was keen to try out their wine program.
Blue Apron Wine Program
The wine program works like this:
- Blue Apron has their own winery so they can offer high-quality wines at great prices – $10 a bottle or $65.99 per month for six wines including shipping and excluding taxes.
- You can choose from a blend of reds and whites and you can also buy the wines a la carte via Blue Apron Market so if you fall in love with a certain wine – you can always buy more of it!
- The wines are sized for two so it’s the perfect size bottle to share over your Blue Apron meal (brilliant!) (The bottles are about ? of a standard sized wine bottle).
- Each month you can select the wines you love as part of your program. Skip or cancel whenever – there’s no commitment.
When the bottles arrive, you’ll get tasting notes, pairing tips and a story behind each bottle. I loved all the information shared but my favorite part? There is a little flavor-profile seal on each bottle that matches up with the flavor seal on the recipe card for your meal. So I knew easily to chill my “Zesty + Tropical” Sauvignon Blanc to pair with my Tilapia featuring Orange & Jalapeno Salsa over Vegetable Quinoa and Spiced Yogurt.
The whole time I was eating the meal I kept thinking “I would never have thought to put all this together” and it was such a treat to be surprised by all the flavors working together.
Each of the wines that Blue Apron offers is chosen to complement the recipes they’re offering that month so truly all you have to do is uncork, pour and enjoy.
If you’re curious about wine pairing with your own meals at home – here are a few quick tips:
- Light and fresh wines like Pinot Grigio or Gruner Veltliner will pair well with salads, veggie or fish dishes or pesto-based pasta dishes.
- A Riesling that’s more floral actually pairs great with South Asian cuisine.
- Love lighter reds like I do like Pinot Noir, Grenache or Nebbiolos? Pair them with simple chicken dishes and Mediterranean grains.
Blue Apron is already the best mail I get each week but with the addition of wine and continued time at home, I’m able to use part of the evening doing a bit of learning about wine while I prep and enjoy my meal. There’s so much you can learn about wine pairing and I love that Blue Apron makes it easy and more approachable.
And because of the size of the bottles from Blue Apron, I’m not left worrying about trying to finish a full size bottle of wine. Once it’s been opened it has a short life so the smaller bottles from Blue Apron are much more worry-free in my opinion.
In case you’re not familiar, Blue Apron offers 30 meal options a week so you can almost always find something that sounds good! I love adding meals featuring fish and lots of veggies into my meal delivery box each week as these are the things I am less comfortable cooking. They also offer a Vegetarian plan and a Wellness-focused plan that has WW Approved, 600 calories or less and even carb-conscious recipes.
Since I live alone I also like to choose options that’ll be great for dinner and for lunch the next day. It’s great knowing that as soon as a box arrives I have six meals waiting for me – nearly all of which will be prepped in under 40 minutes.
Both Blue Apron meal and wine programs allow you to skip your deliveries whenever you need to so as our world hopefully opens up a bit more in the coming months you can rest assured you can make the deliveries fit your schedule.
If you’re interested in trying Blue Apron, you can use this link to $80 off across your first 4 boxes! And I certainly hope you’ll give the wine program a try, too.
Have you guys tried Blue Apron?
Many thanks to Blue Apron for partnering on this post! All opinions are always my own and I appreciate you supporting the brands that support wit & whimsy! *Valid for first-time Blue Apron meal-plan subscriptions only. Payment card required to redeem. Limit one redemption per household. Not valid with other offers.