I personally love the changing of the seasons. It makes me feel hopeful and gets me excited to make plans. This time of year in particular, I love spring cleaning to get my home in a better place to welcome the new season and in anticipation of summer.
I’ve done quite a bit of clearing out and tidying up lately and thought I’d share my approach to this seasonal ritual along with my favorite cleaning tips and tricks.
How I Spring Clean
The below also features a lot of my favorite cleaning products and cleaning supplies. Consider the below a handy Spring Cleaning Checklist for the season!
I highly recommend you open the windows on an early spring day, put on some feel good music and get to work! I also personally love to set a timer to keep me on track so I don’t get distracted by non-cleaning to dos.
In my closet:
- I try things on that I’m unsure of. If an item hasn’t seen wear recently, I try it on to see whether I think it is worth keeping.
- If I’m on the fence about something I will wear it once last time and see how it makes me feel. (Generally if I haven’t worn something in a year to two years, it sees its way out of my closet!)
- For items I am clearing out, I either sell them or donate them to Housing Works or Goodwill.
- I work on storing seasonal items.
- I take well-worn items to get dry cleaned.
- I take shoes I know I’ll be wearing often in the coming months into my favorite cobbler to get them prepared for a lot of use again.
- I wrinkle released every item that came out of storage or needed a refresh so it will be ready to wear.
- I cleaned my earrings in a little bit of dish soap and hot water and used a toothbrush to polish any that feature stones.
In my house:
- I’ve cleared out cabinets and am giving away items I no longer have a use for or don’t plan to use anytime soon.
- I’ve fully dusted and wiped down every.single.surface. I use these handy dusters. If you have hard to reach spaces, I recommend an extendable duster. (These are great on ceiling fans in particular!)
- I organized catch-all drawers and cabinets. I’m tossing things that are expired or not used regularly.
- I changed my linens, sprayed everything with Downy Wrinkle Releaser and swapped out my duvet cover for a fresh one.
- I cleaned out my fridge and disinfected my trash bin with this cleaning solution. I also added a new, fresh box of baking soda to keep smells at bay.
- I use these amazing stainless steel wipes on my appliances to get rid of any smudges and finger marks. They work like a dream!
- I lint roll the top of my headboard, my couch, my duvet cover and all my other fabric surfaces to get rid of dust mites.
- I deep cleaned my bathroom.
- I cleared out my over-flowing beauty stash and got rid of a lot of makeup.
- I wiped down all my mirrors with a glass cleaner and microfiber clothes.
- I used this Laundress Home Spray to make every space feel fresh.
- I washed my shower curtain in the washing machine.
- I burned some Paolo Santo to get rid of any bad energy, welcome good vibes and because, hey, it smells SO GOOD.
- I started adding about 1/2 cup of white vinegar to my dishwasher loads so dishes come out looking sparkling.
- I vacuumed every room with my Dyson vacuum cleaner which is truly the best (one of my best home purchases hands down!)
In my tech:
- As mentioned here, I recently did an Instagram purge. I stopped following anyone I wasn’t getting value from. I also muted stories from people I wasn’t enjoying .
- I have started removing apps I don’t use and am also cleaning out my contacts on my iPhone.
- I’ve started to try and clean out my overwhelming digital photo collection. I’m using my commute and other downtime to try and cut down all the photos and videos I have on my phone!
- I cleared out files on my computer to make more space on my hard drive, uploaded important files to my Dropbox and tidied up my laptop’s desktop!
- I wipe down my tech surfaces with a microfiber cloth to rid them of smudges.
Also, I’ve been getting so much joy out of watching #cleantok on TikTok. I have learned so many fun and handy cleaning tips that strangely totally makes me more excited to clean!
Next on my list? I need to figure out how to tackle getting my windows clean!
How do you guys tackle spring cleaning? Any favorite rituals? I’d love to hear them!