I always love hearing from you guys. Questions, opinions, recommendations – you name it. My interaction with my readers is one of the things that drives me most to always be posting – so keep it coming! Today’s post is a roundup of recent questions I’ve gotten for the latest installment in my Q&As. You can see past Q&As here, here, here, here, here & here.
I’m STRUGGLING with style lately.I’ve been adding stuff to carts all over the place and can’t figure anything out. I think I’ve started with a decent direction. Currently my wardrobe is white, black, gray and white/black/gray stripes with ill-fitting skinny jeans. I feel frumpy most days. I love the capsule collection you put together, and I have a variation of a “mom” capsule collection, but I need to start getting my ish together and having style again. I’ve been on Pinterest looking at some “mom style” but haven’t seen much I’ve been in love with.
- My favorite denim brands are rag & bone, agolde, ag jeans and j brand. All on the pricier side but they don’t stretch out like I’ve found J.Crew and Madewell do (causing the constant pulling up that can be hard when you’re a mom). They’re worth the investment in my opinion. Both Shopbop and Nordstrom have free returns so my recommendation to you would be to buy a bunch of styles you think you’d like in a size or two and then try on a TON with a variety of tops you already own and your go-to shoes. Then return whatever doesn’t work. Find a brand you trust and can rely on.
- An easy way to look put together quickly I think is a silk button down layered under a crewneck sweater. I think the Everlane sweaters are the best bang for your buck and most can be worn multiple ways. I’m also a big fan of a french tuck with a high waisted jean that is slightly cropped and therefore pairs well with ballet flats or mules.
- My BFF who has a 1.5 year old swears by these sneakers. My Brooklyn mom friends all wear these which I also have lol. I’ve had them for years and wear them almost every weekend. A lot of Brooklyn moms wear a similar suede version, too.
- I personally always feel more put together when I add a chic loafer to an easy outfit of top + jeans or sweater + jeans. My go-tos that are so comfortable once broken in are these and these. They both also look great with a black pixie type of pant.
- If you’re looking for a practical boot I recommend these. I’ve been wearing them loads and they are great with skinny jeans. Enough height to make your legs look long but not so much that you can’t run errands or push a stroller in them.
- I also think you may like & Other Stories. They, too, have free returns from online orders and I think they make great sweaters that are easy to throw on with jeans and cute shoes. Also look at Mango.
I hope this helps! Any other moms reading out there that have tips they want to leave in the Comments?!
Favorite cashmere that is more affordable? Your favorite Equipment one is a bit out of my price range.
I’m personally someone who loves to buy quality things that will hold up and wear them over and over again and that’s what I’ve done with my Equipment Sloane sweater. It doesn’t pill or stretch out and despite loads of wear, it still looks like new. I’d recommend buying this one over say, two less expensive cashmere sweaters. But that’s my opinion and I know the Equipment one is a splurge. As far as alternatives, I would recommend Everlane given the quality and price. I will caveat that some of their cashmere does pill so be prepared to use this little guy on them. I also like & Other Stories cashmere.
Have you made any purchases you regret?
Hmm, I had to really think about this one and the only thing that came to mind was my Mansur Gavriel tote. Frankly it just hasn’t held up the way I’d want it to and their leather scratches so, so easily so the tote looks more beat up than it should have a year of use.
Thoughts on Stockholm vs. Copenhagen? I know you went to both last year but did you have a favorite?
I absolutely loved both Stockholm and Copenhagen but if I had to choose I’d go back to Copenhagen in a heartbeat. I felt like even in four days I only scratched the surface. The people were so friendly, the design aesthetics of restaurants and shops super cool and the food delicious.
Do you have a favorite cocktail? A go-to drink?
I don’t! It really depends on my mood. If it’s a cold, wintery night I absolutely love an old fashioned. In Winter I also drink red wine almost exclusively. In summer I love cocktails with elderflower or citrus but nothing that’s very sweet.
Can you explain the difference between the Zella leggings and the Lululemon ones you recommend regularly? There’s quite a price difference so I’m curious to know more about what you like about each.
You bet! I consider the Zella Leggings “lounging” leggings. I’ll wear them around the house of if I want to be extra comfy when running errands. (More loungewear I love here). I have a pair at home and a pair at my parents’ house because I love to wear them with oversized sweaters while at home in Colorado for the holidays. I personally don’t recommend these leggings for working out. The Lululemon Align leggings that I am obsessed with are great for working out. They stay put and they wick away moisture so they’re ideal for sweaty workouts. I swear by them for hot yoga and won’t wear anything else now to my yoga classes. I wear them so much that I now have three pairs. They were one of the best things I discovered last year.
Can you share how you curl your hair? Do you use a wand? Do you alternate towards/from your face? I still haven’t mastered it.
I almost always use this wand when my hair is on the shorter side. I clip the top half up (using the clips shared here) and start by curling the bottom in 1 inch sections – always away from my face! I spray it with a setting spray and then unclip the top half and begin the same process working from the back of my head to the front.
How do you make new friends in a new city?
This is tough to do for sure. I think it takes a ton of work on your part to maintain momentum with new people you meet so that friendships develop. I have a lot more in this post related to the topic.
Have you ever reviewed the various beauty box subscriptions?
I’m not big on subscription boxes of any kind with the exception of wine (haha) but I do think Birchbox does a great job with their selections. They have great brands and in addition to some surprise inclusions that they curate based on your preferences, you also get to pick an item or two which is fun! I also love giving a Birchbox subscription as a gift.
Hi Meghan! I’m off to Greece in May and after scouring your travel posts it seems you don’t have a post about that destination. Do you have any suggestions as to which islands to visit? Or know of anyone else who’s been and posted helpful tips? Thanks for all your jet-setting knowledge!
I am so jealous you’re heading to Greece! I went when I was 12 – so a long time ago but I remember Santorini and Mykonos being magical. We did a cruise to the islands so it was a bit of a different experience. I am definitely keen to get back to Greece (it’s on my wanderlust list) but until I do, I can point you in the direction of some bloggers I follow and trust for their recommendations. See posts here, here, here, here, here. Rosie has been a handful of times so I’d search on her site, too and then I personally always enjoy seeing what Goop recommends for a destination. Finally, I always research on Conde Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure, too.
Hi Meghan, I have been devouring all your Paris posts and making lots of notes. I am headed there in the Spring. I was just wondering if you have a post on best French beauty products or you could let me know what beauty lines to look for while I’m there.
. . .
Thanks to everyone who has reached out recently! Reminder you can always submit questions easily here. I do my best to always reply to every Comment, every Ask Meghan question and every Instagram DM!