Ever since becoming a small business owner myself back in 2016, I’ve been much more keen on supporting others who are waking up every morning, being their own bosses, working so hard and pursuing their dreams. In today’s age of shopping I think it’s even more important to support small businesses – and more so than ever in 2020 given the pandemic – so I wanted to once again dedicate an entire gift guide to gift ideas from small businesses.
As a bit of background, small businesses often cannot afford to be a part of affiliate networks which is how content creators like myself make a lot of their income (purchases = commission & money earned) so often they aren’t included as much but as mentioned I have made a priority of championing small businesses for the past four years and I am committed to doing so. You guys support my small business and I am forever grateful for that so I see posts like this that take a lot of time and do not equate to much income for me as a way of paying it forward. (This is also why you won’t see shoppable widgets at the bottom of the post as those widgets are made possible via affiliate networks – just FYI!)
I had so much fun compiling this and I’d love to hear what you guys like the most in this guide or if you buy any gifts!
Gift Ideas from Small Businesses
- Cuyana Travel Cases. I include them in gift guides every year as they remain one of my all time favorite gifts to give. Beautiful quality leather goods from a female founded small business.
- Silk Face Mask with Filter. Who knew I’d be including face masks in gift guides this year but here we are, 2020. These are the best I’ve tried and come with filters! This year’s most practical gift.
- Brightland Essentials Capsule. Last year I asked for the Brightland Olive Oil Duo and it was the gift that kept giving for six months in my kitchen. This new gift set includes the brand’s amazing olive oils but also a pair of their new vinegars. Perfect for the home chef looking to level up.
- Whiled Busy Bodies Puzzle. From the brains behind one of my favorite newsletters, comes Whiled – a company dedicated to products designed for downtime.
- Eight Maple Cocktail Glasses. You guys know by now I love glassware and these cocktail glasses are just so beautiful. I’m so grateful to the w&w reader who recommended this site full of pretty things.
- Katie Dean Jewelry Baguettes. I just noted my love of Katie and her affordable, quality jewelry business in this post but truly there is something for so many on your list on her site.
- Harlem Candle Company Holiday Candle. You know I love a good holiday candle and how luxurious does this one sound from this female founded, black owned business here in NYC?
- Estelle Colored Stemless Wine Glasses. Standouts for any kitchen in a myriad of beautiful colors.
- Closed Mondays Mini Basket. Designed and sewn by close friend of mine, Bekka Palmer, comes the most beautiful baskets, trays and hanging planters. I think this colorful mini makes the perfect catch all gift.
- Libro.FM. I also included my go-to audiobook provider in my Unique & Experiential Gift Guide but it is worth noting here as your audiobook purchases through Libro.FM support your preferred local bookstore. Use this link to get a free month of membership and 1 free audiobook.
- Prospect Print Co. I discovered this brand on Instagram and love their charming prints – particularly those of NYC culinary institutions. I ordered one for a friend immediately!
- Equilibria CBD Roller Duo. A beautiful yet practical stocking stuffer from a female founded premium CBD small business. You can read more about my experience with this brand’s CBD here.
- Morgan Harper Nichols Stoneware Mug. Morgan is one of my favorite IG follows of 2020 and her shop has so many beautiful pieces that feature her moving and uplifting words. This mug is a favorite.
- Vivi Naturals CBD Gummies. For the person who needs better sleep! I have used these this Fall and found them to work well.
- Nevertheless She Persisted Puzzle. A puzzle that’ll leave you inspired at completion.
- The Sill ZZ Plant. A female founded plant company with beautiful plants and even more beautiful containers to hold them in. I was gifted a Sill ZZ Plant by a friend two years ago and it remains one of my favorite things in my home.
- DoorDash Gift Certificate. I know delivery services like this take a % from restaurants but buying a gift card from DoorDash you can give the gift of shopping small to the recipient.
- Stil Wellness Planner. *Adds to cart* My wellness could use some work for the new year. The perfect gift for the go-getter in your life.
- Small Packages. Need to send a thoughtful gift to someone far away this year? Look no further than Small Packages that allows you to send curated, noteworthy gifts to any loved one.
A few other Small Businesses I love:
- Halfsies Cookie Company. Delicious cookies with inventive flavors.
- Chappy Wrap. Thick, plush and oh-so-cozy blankets. These make great gifts that anyone will treasure forever.
- Dudley Stephens. Founded by sisters you will fall in love with their stylish fleece pieces.
- Material Kitchen. Quality kitchenware to upgrade the home chef.
- Victoria’s Stories Print Shop. My friend Victoria’s gorgeous and oh-so-frameworhty travel prints.
- The Tiny Tassel. Oh-so-darling accessories.
- The Little Market. Fair trade gifts for anyone on your list.
A lot of my favorite Francophile & French owned small businesses can also be found in my Francophile Gift Guide!
Hope you guys find something perfect from this first gift guide for those on your list and some new small businesses to bookmark and support moving forward!
There are even more #ShopSmall ideas here (many submitted by wit & whimsy readers!) and I have a list of my favorite small businesses that I added to The Shop earlier this year here. And lastly here’s my big Black Friday post of the best sales.