Happy Monday you guys! I’m back in New York after a week in Southern California and time spent largely off of social media which felt so nice. Today’s post is one I am always mentally writing after I return from a trip but somehow manage to always fail to sit down and do it but here we are today: I’m finally sharing how I reset after traveling! Traveling is great but it also has a tendency to put your body and habits out of whack. With all my travels, particularly in the last two years as I’ve had a more flexible schedule, I’ve started to hone in on the steps I need to take in order to reset myself when I return home following a trip.
- Prioritize sleep. This is a big one for me. If I can help it, I avoid early mornings the day after I return and also try and keep my night free so I can go to a yoga class and have no other commitments. I try to immediately get back on schedule with EST. If I’m fending off jet lag, then I try and avoid caffeine if I can to ensure a more solid night of sleep. (This is very schedule dependent of course. If I have a lot of meetings or a shoot you know I am pouring myself a cup!)
- Manipulate my schedule. I try really hard to avoid any meetings on my first day back at my desk when I return home from a trip. I know this is much easier for me given I am self employed but if you can block off your calendar so people don’t over book you as you try to play catch up with your inboxes, this is a game changer for getting yourself back up and running post-vacation.
- Cut out booze. If you’re like me you like to indulge when you travel which means martinis! Wine! And it can be a lot on the system. So when I come home I cut out alcohol for a week if I can. Sometimes plans get in the way but I try to limit any alcohol intake after travel for at least a week.
- Add back in nutrients. Speaking of indulging, I’m not a healthy eater when I travel so I try to take some supplements as soon as I get back and also often get a green juice or two or some kombucha in my system. I re-introduce probiotics and vitamins, too.
- Reset my skincare routine. I don’t take a specific skincare routine with me on the road typically. More so I grab whatever minis I have on hand that *should* keep my skin happy when I’m traveling. That being said, my skin is always in need of TLC upon my return home after a trip. I promptly begin to try and get back on track by doing a double cleanse and then I use both a mask for clarifying my pores and a mask for hydrating. Before bed I will apply Darphin’s Purifying Balm which really goes to work surfacing all the gunk in my pores. (Truly this product is amazing and disgusting at the same time. Don’t say I didn’t worn you but I love that I can do some extractions the next day after using this!) More of my favorite masks here.
- Drink loads of water. I’m pretty awful at drinking my usual amount of 8-10 glasses of water a day when I travel so when I come back home I try to rehydrate as much as possible. Flying, as we know, also majorly dehydrates us so I try to get my body flushed with water.
Do you have any ways you reset when you return from being on the road? I’d love to hear them.
[Image via this post]