The last few weeks have been really hard for me emotionally. Between election stress and pandemic fatigue and frustration watching so much selfish behavior here in the States and the uncertainty around what the holidays look like along with being alone for Thanksgiving – it’s all feeling like too much to bear.
I know that whenever I feel like life is too uncertain – too hard, I have to turn inwards and practice more gratitude and turn to the little comforts. These little comforts are mini forms of self care and they are just so important I find to getting through the day with the acknowledgment of things that are going well – when larger forces out of our control seem so overwhelming.
Finding the Little Comforts
So what are the type of little comforts keeping me company and bringing me small moments of joy right now?
- Comfort food recipes. (These are my favorites).
- Cozy candles. (All my holiday favorites especially right now).
- Nightly hot baths with Susanne Kaufman’s Oil for the Senses. Truly one of the most relaxing luxuries.
- Warm chocolate chip cookies.
- New romantic comedy books.
- FaceTimes with friends.
- Crisp, fresh linens fresh from the laundry.
- Weekend naps with the windows open.
- Long walks in Central Park.
- Reader comments on blog posts.
- Cold champagne.
- Popcorn in bed with FRIENDS episodes.
- Morning coffees in pajamas.
- Staying in bed just a little longer.
- Seeing holiday decorations going up in NYC.
- Cozy pajamas.
In tomorrow’s blog post I am going to have a lot of ideas for how to find calm this holiday season, too! It was therapeutic for me to put together as I battle my increased anxiety of late and I’m hopeful you guys will find it helpful as well.
Do you have any little comforts you can share?